Pilots on Quora: What would you recommend to help people decompress after a flight? What works best for you?
Answer by Thomas Zerbarini:
I don't think you'll find many pilots experiencing the same stress you're talking about. It's pretty much a normal work day for us.
We do have some techniques to minimize the impact of the dry environment, long sitting and complex work environment. They include:
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water throughout the day.
- Eat small healthy snacks and meals that are not too heavy.
- Stretch often, especially your legs. Get up and move around every hour or so.
- Don't overreact to stress or changing situations. Flying has many variables that change often. Don't sweat it, just go with the flow.
- Walk and take the stairs as often as possible. When you complete your flying day, exercise and/or swim. Take a nice shower and refresh.
- Relax with a cup of Herbal tea and some mellow music. Catch a sunset and/or walk outdoors. Sit outside and just listen to the sounds around you.
- Call your wife/kids/significant other/family while on the road.
I'm sure many of us have more ideas and tricks to keep our work day stress low. These are just some of my routines.