Answer by Thomas Zerbarini:
I'd love to add my comments but I would just be repeating most of everything already stated.
The most important things I noticed with my kids are:
- Be there as much as possible for your kids and talk often.
- Eat at least one meal a day with your family
- be patient and tolerant, do your best not to get aggravated too much
- encourage your kids positively and praise them often when they do well
- Always talk about the bad feelings as well as the good ones. teach them how to process the emotions they feel and to put it all in perspective.
- Teach your kids how to treat other kids well and not to ever tease.
- Show your kids how to approach other kids and make friends.
- Turn the TV off and have family book time.
- Play, explore, do fun projects and even chores with your kids – outside!
- Share with your kids your past as a child and your family history. My kids loved it when I told them stories (especially the funny ones) about myself growing up.